Hi friends! Today I wanted to share how I clean my makeup brushes. As most of you know, I recently went to Nashville. While there, we were constantly doing/redoing our makeup so my brushes deserve a good old scrub down. I also like to clean my brushes after traveling because they get exposed to different things and that’s just…icky.
I am no beauty guru, but personally I recommend cleaning your brushes once a month. Now I know most of you are cringing and thinking “I haven’t washed this brush since I bought it in 2012” no worries.. just kidding you should probably toss that one lol. But I too often forget to wash my brushes too!! It’s not the end of the world. Just make time to clean them before or after the holidays, probably after if you’re applying lots of glitter and sparkles for the festive effect.
But like I said, I used to not wash my brushes very often. Mainly because I truthfully don’t wear make up that often! But ever since I have started washing them more often, my skin has WAY less breakouts. See skin care routine here. Your face produces natural oils. So after a few applications with these brushes, the oils and just everyday bacteria floating around (bathrooms are gross people!!) they start to collect all those germs and oils. So if you’re breaking out, try washing your brushes! (And cutting out dairy FYI.. total life saver but that’s justly experience lol).
This is a really easy process and it shouldn’t take very long! It also SUPER cheap.
I use Dr. Bronner’s soap to clean my brushes. The formula and ingredients are not only safe for your skin, but also safe on your brushes so that it won’t ruin them. I have been using this method since I started washing my brushes and I don’t plan on ever changing it! I personally use the bar of soap so that I can either lather my hands up and clean the brushes or put the brushes directly on the bar (since I don’t use the bar for anything but my brushes). However, they do make the soap in liquid form that you could mix with water and rinse your brushes that way!
Ok so here are the steps:
- Get all your brushes, even eye shadow and beauty blenders!, lined up and ready to go. Be sure to have a clean and dry towel to lay them on so they are able to air dry after.
- Wet the bar of soap and your brush bristles. Keep the cool water running in the sink while doing this whole process to make it quick and easy! Start by lathering your entire palm with soap so that it causes bubbles to form. Gentle push the brush into your soapy palm and literally watch the color/foundation/whatever other gunk fall out of the brush!!
- Rinse the brush in cool water until the water is clear coming off the brush.
- REPEAT STEPS 2 & 3 AGAIN! I promise MORE stuff will come out!!
- Lay the brush flat on a clean towel and allow it to air dry. This will keep the brushes healthy and fluffy. Avoid drying with a towel. I leave mine out all night. Sometimes if the brushes have shapes, such as angled bristles, you may need to smooth the bristles back in to place.
It is that easy! Takes me no more than 15 minutes and really nothing beats the feeling of clean brushes the next day 🙂 I hope you guys remember to try this easy and affordable way to clean your brushes!