Baseball has taught me a lot. I still may not know what pitches my husband is throwing (oops…I blame that on chasing the kids) but I have become the pro packer. I can pack up a 4 bedroom house in a weeks notice. Shit…I could probably do it in two days. And I can pack for weeks long travels to different climates (still the queen of over packing by whatever).
I’ve had to pack up our house/apartments so many times. I still hate it every time too.. BUT I have gotten a lot better at it. I’ve made a list of my top 10 packing tips to help ya out!
1) Lists. I make lists for EVERYTHING. Write down what you are going to be packing and when. Make a list of supplies you’ll need (tape, boxes, etc). I followed a simple packing list here
2) Wine. Lots of wine mixed with loud country music.
3) Utilize your belongings. I am definitely NOT spending money on bubble wrap or packing peanuts. Instead I use our swaddle blankets and pillow cases to wrap around our wine glasses and plates. This is like a two in one packing tip. Genius.
4) Get a babysitter. Seriously. Packing with kids who love to unpack is a nightmare. Take them to a family members house for a few hours while you pack up.
5) Pack your linens first. Get rid of all those extra towels and sheets you won’t need. Just keep a few towels out because you can always wash those. Also pack your decor in the beginning. I hated my bare house at first but now the empty walls make me feel accomplished.
6) PURGE PURGE PURGE. Gosh I love donating/trashing my belongings. Be realistic with yourself. Will you actually use it? Do you wear it? Has it ever been worn? Donate. Same with toys. I’ve been finding a MILLION little miscellaneous pieces that have become bath toys for the time being but will soon be purged.
7) Marry a man who actually helps you pack. I seemed to have skipped this step…
8) Do not worry about cleaning while you pack. We all know I’m a vacuum addict. But packing brings out all the dust bunnies and hidden crumbs. Don’t worry about it. It’s only going to get worse. Instead wait to do your final huge clean at the end of packing. You have to return the house/apt in a clean manner anyways.
9) Think you taped the bottom of the box enough? No. You didn’t. Add more tape. Just trust me on this one..
10) Do not offer to dog sit during the time you are supposed to be packing. It may be a cute distraction… but just don’t.
extra tip: after moving 4 times in 2 years, you deserve the right to hire movers for the heavy stuff.
Now here are some adorable pictures of our baseball game adventures yesterday. Last spring training game for us! (Thank Gawwwwd)….